USA Swimming Officials clinic opportunity Sat. Dec. 15 @ Columbus Academy
1:30-4:30, cost is $6
The entry level position for Officiating is a Stroke & Turn Judge (Level 5) certification.
They are the officials standing at either end of the pool or walking along the side of the pool observing the swimmers to ensure that the technical rules of the individual strokes are being followed. Progression from Stroke & Turn (S&T) includes the positions of Starter (Level 3) and Referee (Level 1).
What is required to be an official?
1. You must become a non-athlete member of USA Swimming. 2013 annual membership cost $59.
2. Complete the designated training program for the Stroke & Turn Judge position.
3. Complete the background check required by USA Swimming. (Cost is $39).
4. Complete the Athlete Protection Training (APT) required by USA Swimming (no cost involved).
What is involved in the Stroke & Turn Judge training program?
1. Attend a Certification Clinic (offered in the Spring and Fall). At the clinic all steps to become an official will be explained to you.
2. Complete Online Officials Tests covering stroke & turn/timer, clerk of course and timing judge on the USA Swimming website.
3. Complete an apprenticeship of six sessions over two separate, sanctioned meets working with a certified official to gain knowledge of proper officiating protocol.
How do I get started?
1. Talk to your swim coach, an official in your club, an OSI Commission Co-chair or the OSI Officials Chair for information on the steps you need to complete to become an official.
2. Print and complete the USA Swimming non-athlete membership application found at the following link: http://www.teamunify.com/czohlsc/UserFiles/Image/Forms/Registration%20Forms%20%20%20/2012/2012%20Non-Athlete%20App.pdf
3. Mail the form and payment to the address on the application (check payable to Ohio Swimming Inc.)
4. Go to the USA Swimming web site at www.usaswimming.org. In the upper right hand corner of the web site, click on “sign in”. You then need to create an account in order to be able to access the Background Check, official’s tests, etc.
5. Initiate the Level 2 Background Check found at the following link: http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=1678&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=enComplete the Athlete Protection Training found at the following link: http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=2193&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en
Post a Comment