Wednesday, December 27, 2017
While in your portal, take a look at other upcoming meets and submit responses sot hat you do not miss future deadlines.
We utilize a lot of information to make these decisions: including the local weather forecast, school closing, the county level system (a level 2 in Delaware county generally warrants practice cancellation, any level in Franklin could as they rarely declare one) and the road sensors and cameras available on ohgo.com
On a side note, our club is private, meaning we are not governed by the typical liability of holding a practice that a public/school based club would have during poor road conditions. It is ultimately your choice to get on the road to drive to practice, so when the weather is bad we ask that you use your best judgement and do so only if you are comfortable. We never have repercussions or reprimand a swimmer for missing practice during poor road conditions.
Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Triple Crown - we will swim both days (relays have been eliminated from this meet).
Kelly German January 19-20 (Friday and Saturday only)
Scarlet 2 & Gold: 400 IM Friday; 100 free, 200 back and 200 fly Saturday.
Scarlet 1: 200 free & 200 IM Friday; 100 free, 200 back or 100 br, 200 fly or 100 IM Saturday.
Silver: Any events on Saturday
Junior: Lew’s choice Friday and Saturday
January 26-28 is the Indy meet for some of our swimmers, everyone else is eligible to attend the UAC Frosty Fun meet Sunday, 1/28 at CSG. Last chance to qualify for Indy is at the Triple Crown.
February 3-4 we will add the GCSTO Last Ditch Meet on Saturday and Sunday only. Swimmers participating at Indy should choose one day. We have been very pleased with how our swimmers are competiting at this pool.
February 11, we will remove the meet at New Albany. The coaches have never been very impressed with how we swim at this pool. With the addition of the GCSTO meet we feel it would better serve our swimmers to head to practice on that day.
Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Intro to Swim Team Group will be offered Sundays 3-3:45 and Thursdays from 6:45-7:30 with Coach Laurie. First day of practice is January 4 and swimmers in this group will be able to attend meets this winter. Cost is $250 for swimmers new to the group. We will not practice on Sunday, January 28.
Registration is now available at Active for both groups. The system will only charge a processing fee for Masters and will charge $150 plus processing for Intro. All other fees will be collected through our QuickBooks (Intuit) billing system. Please be careful when registering - Active asks if you would like a membership in their premium product - you do not need this.
Link to register: http://www.active.com/columbus-oh/water-sports/swimming-registrations/buckeye-swim-club-18-2017
The final schedule is below. The only tentative practice is tomorrow morning (it is dependent on the morning lifeguard getting to the pool/home in time from college). We will text and Facebook this practice status later today. Please do not come to practice if you are in school (we have had some questions about scheduling practice during school). The only way we are able to fit all groups in at once is because over half of our swimmers will still be in school.
Monday, December 11, 2017
Wednesday, December 6, 2017
We will resume our intro to swim team group on January 4 and will offer the group through the end of our teams competitive season. Practices will be held Thursdays 6:45-7:30 and Sundays from 3-3:45. Last practice will be Thursday, March 1. Current intro swimmers- if you would like to continue in our group, simply send me an email.
We would like to add 6 swimmers to the group to bring our total to 12. So, if you have friends interested, please let them know about us.
Cost for the winter session is $175 for our returning swimmers (you will receive an invoice for this, please do not register at Active). Cost for new swimmers is a total of $250 ($150 to register at Active and another $100 invoiced to the family). Please feel free to share cost information to your friends.
Each swimmer in the group will be members of Buckeye Swim Club, with a USA Swimming membership. This means the kids will be able to participate in meets. The first meet that is a great opportunity is the UASC Triple Crown. At this point, each of our swimmers can compete in a 25 free and 25 back if they are 8-under. Our 9-10 year olds should be starting with 50 free and 50 back. These events are offered Saturday morning, January 6. If you would like to swim, simply respond to your Active Invite or send me an email by Friday.
We will be taking orders during practice. ALL orders are due on MONDAY, DECEMBER 11th! Please note the VERY quick turn around. I will have order forms at practice and leave some with each of the coaches. I will also have them this weekend at the MAKOS Holiday Invitational.
Any questions: email@example.com
Please note, that the logo on the order form is for representational purposes only and may change.
Saturday, December 2, 2017
for buy one get one free tickets to tonight's nationals.
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
What better way to celebrate the holidays than by eating pizza and watching some FAST swimming. The USA Winter Nationals are being held right here in Columbus at Ohio State! We will meet at Tommy's Pizza on Lane Ave at 3:30 PM. The Booster Club will be paying for all SWIMMERS and coaches pizza and drinks. Others are welcome to join at their own expense. We will then head over to McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion to watch Saturday Finals beginning at 5:00 PM. Everyone will be responsible for purchasing their own ticket to Finals.
Saturday Events include:
400 Freestyle Relay
Below is a link to purchase tickets. Be sure to purchase the single session ticket for Saturday Finals.
Please sign up on the Sign Up Genius link below and let us know how many people will be attending and how many are BKYS swimmers. We will need this for a head count for Tommy's to reserve seating and have pizza ready for the swimmers.
If you have any questions you may contact either Ron Sallows at firstname.lastname@example.org or Laurie Sallows at email@example.com
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Wednesday, November 22
Senior and Junior 8-10:45 am
Scarlet 2 & Gold 12:30-3
Silver 2 12:30-2
Scarlet 1 & Silver 1 -1:30-3
Thursday, November 23
NO PRACTICE, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Friday, November 24
Senior and Junior 9:30 am- noon
Scarlet 2 and Gold 12-2
Scarlet 1- 12-1:30
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Sunday, November 26th from 1-3:15 PM
Tuesday, November 28th from 6:15-8:30 PM
Wednesday, November 29th from 6:15-8:30 PM
If you can not make it to one of these times please be sure to hand in your packet and money to your coach before Wednesday, November 29th. ALL packets and $ need to be turned in by Wednesday, November 29th.
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
We have just finished another very successful competition with lots of great swims and learning opportunities. We dropped over 548 seconds, averaging just over 4 seconds per best time!
Gold Stars to the following swimmers who had best times in every event: Savanah Cornelius (6 best times, 25.43 seconds), Sam Evers (7 best times, 33.31 seconds), Nandita Gaddam (1 best time, 4 new races), Amanda Jones (6 best times, 14 seconds), Justin Li (6 best times, 35.44 seconds), Christopher Martin (6 best times, 21.17 seconds), Nicholas Martin (3 best times, 3 new new events), Nick Mountz (6 best times, 15.74 seconds)!!
KUDOS to Andrew Huang who was High Point winner in 10-under boys.
Keep up the fantastic work Buckeyes!
- Please login to your active portal once a week and check meet invites, results and invoices.
- We do not automatically bill your account any longer for team fees. PLEASE make sure your QuickBooks invoice is up to date.
- If you keep a credit card on file at Active we will automatically bill your meet fees. We appreciate prompt payment BEFORE the meet.
Tuesday, October 31, 2017
If you like apps, consider downlading and taking it for a spin. We are not sure we are keeping it, and would love some feedback!
To get the full features of your teams App you need to download Team App onto your smartphone. Download Team App here (http://teamapp.com/app). Its 100% FREE.
Launch Team App.
1. Sign-up to Team App. You'll be sent an email to confirm your registration.
2. Log in. Then search for Buckeye Swim Club and request access to group(s) that apply to you.
If you don't have a smartphone, you can be added manually and you'll receive email notifications. So if we keep the app, everyone will still get notifications.
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
We did not successfully gain entry into this meet and will NOT be attending. We will not replace this meet but will hone our focus on swimming very fast at UA the weekend prior and preparing for the Makos meet in December.
Dual Meet for Silvers on November 11
Dublin had initially discussed hosting a dual or tri meet for newer swimmers on 11/11 at Worthington. We have no new news as to whether or not this meet is on. We will update you as soon as we hear something.
End of January meet options
January 26-28The OSSC meet that we wanted to attend has been canceled. We will attempt to enter the Circle City Meet January 26-28 at the IU Natatorium in Indianapolis. This pool has hosted numerous Olympic Trials and is know to be a very fun and fast place to swim. The meet itself has qualifying time standards. Swimmers will need a National BB time standard to enter and event. You may check out those standards here: http://buckeyeswimclub.com/Files/2020MotivationalTimes-Top16.pdf make sure you scroll down to the third page, which is yards times.
For those that cannot attend the Circle City, we will attend the UAC Frosty Fun B Meet hosted by Unified at the Columbus School for Girls
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Place your order via PayPal here:
If you want to purchase more than one shirt/different sizes - after adding one size to your cart, click the Continue Shopping Button. That will bring you back to this blog post where you can add more shirts before checking out.
- Swimmers can be sponsored on a flat fee or per lap basis for each lap completed
- Swimmers will swim for 2 hours or 200 laps.
- Swim A Thon will be the week of November 6-9...more details on each groups time to come...
Monday, October 9, 2017
Monday, October 2, 2017
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Sunday, September 24, 2017
TIME: 5:00-7:30 PM
LOCATION: Lehner's Pumpkin Farm
2920 St. Route 203
Radnor, OH 43066
Admission for the farm and activities including the hayride will be paid for by the Buckeye Swim Club Boosters
DINNER: 6:00 PM
Hamburgers and hotdogs will be provided by the Boosters. Plates and table settings will also be provided.
We ask each family to bring a dish to share as well as their own beverages.
Please RSVP to sign up genius by 9/29/17 8 PM
Any questions please call/text Amanda Klein 614-774-0140
Please use the link below to sign up at Sign Up Genius:
Monday, September 18, 2017
Saturday, September 16, 2017
- Directions to the pool and your event entry sheet posted on the Active web page several days before the meet. If this is an “away” or out-of-town meet, hotel information will also be available.
- Swim gear – team suit and Cap, team shirt – we’re proud of our swimmers and want everyone to know they are BUCKEYES, goggles (take a spare pair just in case), 2 towels, deck shoes (old tennis shoes are great for this since they cover the entire foot and help prevent injuries), something warm for the swimmer to wear between events. Most meets have a vendor selling various swim gear, T-shirts, goggles, suits, etc. – so don’t panic if your swimmer forgot something.
- Snacks – apples, oranges, breakfast bars, cheese sticks, crackers, sandwiches
- Drinks – water, sport drinks (Water is the best option. Please limit sport drinks to one bottle per meet session)
- Sleeping bag or blanket for swimmer to lounge on in crash area between events
- At larger meets there is often plenty of “down-time” between events. Help your swimmer plan ahead by packing: a book, homework, small games, deck of cards to keep them busy between events
- Coaches are required to turn in a “Scratch Sheets” during warm-ups (late arrivals risk being dropped from the meet with NO REFUNDS)
- Coaches need to know who is available for relay events
- Swimmers hate being late. Starting off the meet in a panic will not help your swimmer achieve the best results. Of course things happen so please let someone know if you’re going to be late (text or call another parent or coach so everyone knows you’re on your way).
- No diving in the pool during general warm-ups
- During warm-up enter the pool feet first - one hand on the deck
- Starts, which are conducted at the end of general warm-ups, are the only time you are allowed to dive in under coach control). Swimmers can be removed from the meet for not following safety procedures
- Don’t compare your child with another on the team or worse with a sibling (each child learns at their own pace).
- Avoid the temptation to coach or give your child last minute tips, the coach has specific technique tasks that they will give your child and too much coaching will only lead to confusion and disappointment.
- DO NOT BRIBE YOUR CHILD. Payment or rewards for time drops or performance sends the wrong message to your child. Tell them you are proud of them even when they come in last or are disqualified. It is all about the journey not just one race.
- Don’t participate in negative conversations or gossiping about other swimmers, parents, coaches. If you have concerns or issues please speak to your coach after the meet or between sessions.
- Focus on the positive – Imagine you’re the swimmer in the back seat on the way home from a meet and imagine what you’d like to hear from your parents. “Wow, you really had a great start in that backstroke event!” or “I can tell you’ve been working on your flip turns at practice.”
- Encourage their enthusiasm about swimming, but remember that the children are there to have fun.
- Get them to practice as often as possible.
- Make sure they’re getting enough rest and eating well.
- Volunteer to help with team events. Our swimmers work hard, so they deserve to have well-run meets, fundraisers and fun activities. These only happen when parents step-up to make them happen.
- Let the coaches do their jobs.
- Learn as much as you can about swimming to share the sport with your swimmer. Go to www.USASwimming.org and click on the “Parents” section for resources and tips.
- Consider becoming an official – You’re at the meet anyway! It’s cooler on deck, you get a free heat sheet, and you usually get snacks during the meet!
- Please police your area in the stands (throw your discards in the trash can, make sure you or your neighbor didn’t forget something – camera, purse, pen, etc). We’ll remind the swimmers to do the same thing on deck and in the “crash area.”
- Cheer for your child as well as their teammates and friends. Swim meets are a lot more fun when you’re cheering for more than one swimmer. If you’re at a football game you have to cheer for everyone – and there’s no quarterback in swimming…
- Open Invitational – any swimmer may enter regardless of their time in the event(s)
- Time Standard Requirements – swimmers are permitted to enter the meet if they have a “qualifying time” in each event they enter
- Timed Final Meet – every swimmer swims his/her events entered once and is then ranked accordingly
- Prelim/Final Meet – every swimmer swims his/her event once in a “preliminary session.” After preliminary swims, the swimmers are ranked and a predetermined number of swimmers is invited back to swim the event again in a “finals session” (Typically a consolation heat and a championship heat. The number of swimmers returning for “finals” is determined by the number of competition lanes available – 6/12, 8/16, 10/20). Specific rules apply to prelim/finals meets in regard to “scratching” from the finals session. Please talk to a coach prior to the meet to become familiar with these procedures.
- Championship Meet – swimmers must achieve specific “time standards” to attend these meets. Championship meets are offered by Ohio Swimming, Inc. (a sub-governing body of USA Swimming), the USA Central Zone, and USA Swimming. Please ask your coach if you are uncertain as to whether you have met the requirements.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
We will have a required parent meeting for both the Scarlet and Silver groups on Sunday, September 17. Scarlet meeting is at 1:00, Silver meeting is at 4:00. At this meeting we will review best practices for communication and general information regarding our swim club. Please bring your cell phone &/or tablet as we will send test communications during the meeting to make sure everyone is receiving communications. We will also review how to sign up for meets.
Immediately following the meeting, each swimmer will have the opportunity to try on & purchase the team suit for this year.
If you need equipment please go to swimoutlet.com/bkys
Price of the team suit is as follows:
Girls suit: $67.20
Boys Jammer: $43.20
Boys Brief: $35.20
Please make checks payable to Buckeye Swim Club. Sorry no credit cards. If paying by cash, please seal the EXACT amount in an envelope with your name on the outside.
Senior and Junior swimmers may arrive early to practice (5:30) to purchase their team suits.
- Replace your silver cap with one red team cap, no personalization. Additional $2.
- Replace your silver cap with two personalized red caps. Additional $17.
- Keep your silver cap and add one of the two above options (one red cap is $10, two personalized caps are $25).
Sunday, September 3, 2017
Team CapsWe will hold off on ordering team caps about one more week. This will give all of our late signups one last chance to get their personalized cap order in. With the change to a new team suit, we are also switching of to red team caps! Very exciting :) Once that order is placed, we would expect the caps to arrive around the end of September. Those will then be distributed at practice.
Save $50We have approximately 10-14 spaces left in our Silver group & 6 in Scarlet. Please encourage your friends to join us! We have the most space available for swimmers age 8 and younger. We will be giving a $50 discount to both you and your friend should they join before September 17. Have them use the code FRIENDS17 at registration. Don’t forget to send us their name so that we can discount your team fees. This discount is only eligible for Silver, Scarlet, Junior and Senior groups.
Intro to Swim Team
We have a new intro to swim team group that will meet Sundays this fall from 3-3:45. The group is designed for kiddos that are currently in swim lessons and can swim about a length of the pool on their own. The group is very low commitment and is only $150! If you have a friend on the fence about joining, please tell them about this opportunity.
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Monday, August 21, 2017
Saturday, August 19, 2017
Monday, August 14, 2017
Monday & Thursday 4:30-6:30
Tuesday & Wednesday 6:30-8:30
Scarlet Gold adds Saturday 7-9 am
Mondays & Wednesdays 5:45-7:00
Bonus Practice (earn with 90% attendance) with Scarlet, Thursday's 5:30-6:45
Mondays & Wednesdays 5:45-7:00
Bonus Practice (earn with 90% attendance) with Scarlet, Tuesdays 7-8:30
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the pool!
No need to order team suits this year
We will be placing a bulk order for our team suit (this will save some decent $$ for everyone) in late August. Once all of the suits arrive, we'll have a big team suit fitting party and general team meeting!
Also, we will be introducing swim snorkels to our Scarlet 2 and Gold swimmers. This means all swimmers in Junior, Senior, Scarlet 2 and Gold will be required to have snorkels. We have 24 of those on their way to us and will have them at practice by Thursday. These are $20 each.
Friday, July 28, 2017
We are excited to announce the 6th annual Columbus Youth Triathlon & Duathlon on Aug 12th!! Here are the key details
· What: Columbus Youth Triathlon
· When: Saturday, August 6th starting at 9AM – 10:30 AM
· Where: Powell Adventure Park - 260 Adventure Park Drive, Powell, OH 43065
· Race Details: 4 Race Options (1) Youth Triathlon (6-18), (2) Youth Duathlon (6-18), (3) Kids Splash N Dash – no swimming! (ages 3-18), and (4) Foam / Grab the loot Run .5 miles or 1 mile (any age)
· What you receive: T-shirt, beach ball at finish line, free kids meal at 101 Beer Kitchen, and 1 free pass to Barre3!
· Create a team – have others register – the team that gets the most to register receive 8 free tickets to the Clippers game on Sunday, Aug 20th plus $10 per person to the game room at Grand Prix Racing! (up to 20)
· Where to Register for race:www.columbusfoamrun.com
· Use code: 5OFF (Triathlon or duathlon only $20, Splash n Dash $10!) or 20ff (for Foam run only $10!) – codes expires 8/4
Saturday, July 22, 2017
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
As we gear up for the next season, we’d like to take a moment to talk about recruitment. We do have our end of August Clinics scheduled to help us all recruit new members. If you know anyone slightly interested in any kind of kids activity, invite them to come with you at the clinics and try us out. When you bring a new prospective member, the clinic is free to you. We are offering the following clinics at $25 each or $100 for all 5:
• Tuesday, August 22 from 6:30-7:30, Freestyle
• Thursday, August 24 from 6:30-7:30, Backstroke
• Sunday, August 27 from 5:00-6:00, Breaststroke
• Tuesday, August 29 from 6:30-7:30, Butterfly
• Thursday, August 31 from 6:30-7:30, Starts and turns
These clinics will teach the drills and technique philosophy that we utilize in Silver and Scarlet groups. If your swimmer struggles with our drills, this is a good refresher before we start the season.
The majority of our swimmers come to us based on a recommendation from another parent. It’s very important that you continue to talk up our program to your friends. You already help this in a big way by posting all those great swim pictures on FaceBook. You can continue to help by encouraging friends that are finishing swim lessons, have participated in summer league or are looking at a new sport to try.
A word about current club swimmers:
Recruiting swimmers that are already USA Swimming members is frowned upon in swimming circles. There are actual rules that forbid this. When you do so, you represent Buckeye, which puts us at risk to go to Ohio Swimming’s Board of Review. On the flip side, if this happens to you, always report the interaction to our club or Ohio Swimming. EXCEPTION: If a parent or swimmer from another team approaches you for information, they are fair game to recruit.
Points of Emphasis
Please emphasize our core values and teachings when speaking about our club. A lot of what we teach benefits kids well beyond the pool!
• We have a spot for nearly every level of swimmer (assuming they can swim a lap or two).
• Our attendance policy at lower levels is pretty low key. We try to offer at least one additional practice per week beyond what is necessary for continued improvement. Most of our younger kids play fall sports.
• We believe that stroke technique is a core part of successful swimming and is a key component in all groups.
• We believe in teaching ownership of your sport from a young age (own your effort, your focus, your improvement, your communication).
• We believe winning is a by product of our core principles, good sportsmanship and being a great teammate.
• We believe in teaching children how to work hard and to take pride in effort and process.
• We believe that it is important for athletes to learn how to fall short of a goal. Failure is not to be feared, rather we learn from our effort and improve.
• We believe swimming is not only the absolutely best sport, it is FUN!
We would prefer that our current parents and swimmers hold off on registering for clinics. Rather, please send us the names of your recruits and days you can attend. If you have earned a free swim Clinic, we will manually add you.
We would certainly take help at these clinics from parents of all level swimmers that feel confident answering questions. We would also like help from 12-14 yr old swimmers interested in welcoming younger swimmers to our clinic.
Clinic Registration link: http://www.active.com/columbus-oh/water-sports/swimming-registrations/swim-clinic-2017
Recruiting flyer: http://buckeyeswimclub.com/files/clinic%20flyer.pdf
2017-18 Team Information packet: http://buckeyeswimclub.com/Files/2017-18%20team%20info%20.pdf
2017-18 Registration Link: http://www.active.com/columbus-oh/water-sports/swimming-registrations/buckeye-swim-club-18-2017
Let's give a warm Buckeye welcome to our TWO new coaches Jules Van der Lans and Chloe Sidick! Jules & Chloe are both Seniors at Ole...
We will be hosting open evaluations for all new and interested swimmers! Please consider printing this flyer and posting at your summer po...
The best part of school breaks is the opportunity to swim a little more and get a little faster! Swim teams everywhere look forward to schoo...
We announced earlier that we have added some practices. We thought it would be useful to use the following chart for the next two weeks sch...