Recruiting 101 and Swim Clinics
As we gear up for the next season, we’d like to take a moment to talk about recruitment. We do have our end of August Clinics scheduled to help us all recruit new members. If you know anyone slightly interested in any kind of kids activity, invite them to come with you at the clinics and try us out. When you bring a new prospective member, the clinic is free to you. We are offering the following clinics at $25 each or $100 for all 5:
• Tuesday, August 22 from 6:30-7:30, Freestyle
• Thursday, August 24 from 6:30-7:30, Backstroke
• Sunday, August 27 from 5:00-6:00, Breaststroke
• Tuesday, August 29 from 6:30-7:30, Butterfly
• Thursday, August 31 from 6:30-7:30, Starts and turns
These clinics will teach the drills and technique philosophy that we utilize in Silver and Scarlet groups. If your swimmer struggles with our drills, this is a good refresher before we start the season.
The majority of our swimmers come to us based on a recommendation from another parent. It’s very important that you continue to talk up our program to your friends. You already help this in a big way by posting all those great swim pictures on FaceBook. You can continue to help by encouraging friends that are finishing swim lessons, have participated in summer league or are looking at a new sport to try.
A word about current club swimmers:
Recruiting swimmers that are already USA Swimming members is frowned upon in swimming circles. There are actual rules that forbid this. When you do so, you represent Buckeye, which puts us at risk to go to Ohio Swimming’s Board of Review. On the flip side, if this happens to you, always report the interaction to our club or Ohio Swimming. EXCEPTION: If a parent or swimmer from another team approaches you for information, they are fair game to recruit.
Points of Emphasis
Please emphasize our core values and teachings when speaking about our club. A lot of what we teach benefits kids well beyond the pool!
• We have a spot for nearly every level of swimmer (assuming they can swim a lap or two).
• Our attendance policy at lower levels is pretty low key. We try to offer at least one additional practice per week beyond what is necessary for continued improvement. Most of our younger kids play fall sports.
• We believe that stroke technique is a core part of successful swimming and is a key component in all groups.
• We believe in teaching ownership of your sport from a young age (own your effort, your focus, your improvement, your communication).
• We believe winning is a by product of our core principles, good sportsmanship and being a great teammate.
• We believe in teaching children how to work hard and to take pride in effort and process.
• We believe that it is important for athletes to learn how to fall short of a goal. Failure is not to be feared, rather we learn from our effort and improve.
• We believe swimming is not only the absolutely best sport, it is FUN!
We would prefer that our current parents and swimmers hold off on registering for clinics. Rather, please send us the names of your recruits and days you can attend. If you have earned a free swim Clinic, we will manually add you.
We would certainly take help at these clinics from parents of all level swimmers that feel confident answering questions. We would also like help from 12-14 yr old swimmers interested in welcoming younger swimmers to our clinic.
Clinic Registration link: http://www.active.com/columbus-oh/water-sports/swimming-registrations/swim-clinic-2017
Recruiting flyer: http://buckeyeswimclub.com/files/clinic%20flyer.pdf
2017-18 Team Information packet: http://buckeyeswimclub.com/Files/2017-18%20team%20info%20.pdf
2017-18 Registration Link: http://www.active.com/columbus-oh/water-sports/swimming-registrations/buckeye-swim-club-18-2017
Hello Swim Families! Fitter and Faster is coming to Columbus for an Elite Video Filming and Analysis Day at the Columbus School for ...
We will be hosting open evaluations for all new and interested swimmers! Please consider printing this flyer and posting at your summer po...
We announced earlier that we have added some practices. We thought it would be useful to use the following chart for the next two weeks sch...
We are working on fall information. No huge changes are planned, but we are trying to expand our introductory and recreational groups. This...